Saturday, November 12, 2011

Afghans for Roswell Park Cancer Institute (Hospital)

I enjoy crocheting a great deal, but not just for myself. Most of my projects haven't been for myself. I like sharing my talents with people who have needs. I have always wanted to make a difference in the world--I may not be making a huge difference but one person at a time

Something I came to realize is, when I was doing these blankets I never saw the impact that they had on any one that I was making them for--until one day when I delivered some blankets to Roswell Park Cancer Institute (Hospital). Normally I would just bring the blankets into the volunteer office. The volunteer office would than pass them on to the person who would distribute them to the patients. This particular day I had too many to bring in myself so the volunteer office sent out another volunteer to help bring them in. This was an older man who smiled brightly. When he saw what we were bringing in he asked me "did you make all of those blankets?" I answered, "I crocheted them together from the squares that others made." Than he smiled even brighter and replied "you know I had a wife who came to Roswell for Cancer Treatments and she was given one of these blankets, it meant the world to her---you don't know the difference you are making."

These are pictures of some of the afghans that I helped make for Roswell Park Cancer Institute (Hospital).

I hope this inspires others to make a difference with their talents too.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it may not appear immediately due to comment moderations